"Girl, aren't all of those vegetables expensive? You know vegans are just too skinny for me and they spend most of their money on food. Let me tell you, that new leather bag is more important to me than some organic fruit."
I've heard all of these excuses before.
This misconception is common and sometimes it's true (when it comes to cost), but it doesn't have to be true for you. As a fellow Broke Vegan, you should know that I'm picky BUT I realize that I can have my pick and not eat crap (or feel like crap later).
My biggest tip is: Don't go for organic all of the time!
We know all about the dirty dozen and the clean fifteen, but who cares!? I know that pesticides suck, but if you can't afford organic veggies right now, don't kill yo self!
You can grow your own.
You can shop in the farmer's markets.
You can shop the discount stores for the lowest price possible and make an incredible meal happen with those veggies.
Remember, I chose the vegan lifestyle because of ethics AND because I didn't like the way meat made me feel. I felt overly full, irritable, cranky and lethargic. When I eat veggies (no matter how many pesticides are on them), I don't feel that way. I still feel good.
I can tell the difference between organic and conventional though. Maybe I should have titled this blog post "Snobby Vegan." :-)
Instead of reaching for the 2 for 1 cheeseburger, try the 10 for $10 mango sale at Giant or the 19 cent bananas at Trader Joe's. What about the $2 vegan and gluten free noodle or soup cup at Wholefoods/Amazon.com from Dr. McDougall? There are options and it's always YOUR choice!
Enjoy the pics of my choices as a Broke Vegan!
1. Dollar Tree Frozen Broccoli and Flavored Rice from Uncle Ben's (yep, the Dollar Tree sells brand names)! Planters Peanuts from the vending machine. I didn't need to have the iced tea, but screw it! Estimated Cost Per Serving: $3
2. Supermarket Boiled Sweet Potato with Cinnamon on top with Dollar Tree Broccoli. Estimated Cost: $2.50
3. Veggie Lo-Mein from the Chinese spot in Maryland with Supermarket Kale mixed in and a Spring Roll. Estimated Cost Per Serving: $6.00
4. Supermarket Baby Carrots, Black Eyed Peas mixed with Yellow Bell Peppers. Estimated Cost Per Serving: $2.50
5. Safeway Grocery Haul - Green Onions, Yuca Root, Canned Tomatoes, Canned Tomato Sauce, Garlic, Bananas, Kiwi, Apples, Cabbage and Tea Biscuit Cookies. Estimated Cost: $12.00
6. Dollar Tree Grocery Haul - BBQ Sauce, Rolled Oats, Raisins, Bow tie Pasta, Frozen Stir Fry Veggies, Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots, Canned Tomato Sauce, Tater Tots. Estimated Cost: $10
7. I don't remember which grocery store this is from, but it was delicious! Bok Choy, Potatoes, Green Onions, Carrots. Estimated Cost: $7.00
8. Navy Beans and Yellow Peppers. Estimated Cost Per Serving: $2.50
9. Yellow, Green & Red Peppers, Avocados, Mangoes, Strawberries, Carrots, Mushrooms, Spinach and Collard Greens. Estimated Cost: $30
SHOP ON SALE and buy only what you need!
Waste not. . .