I love the fact that there is a vegan version for almost everything on the market and marshmallows are no exception! Dandies marshmallows are FANTASTIC and free of gelatin which is a "yellowish, odorless, and nearly tasteless substance that is made by prolonged boiling of skin, cartilage, and bones from animals. It's made primarily from the stuff meat industries have left over — we're talking about pork skins, horns, and cattlebones."
SO happy that this delicious recipe is free from the above! WHEW!!!
-6 large sweet potatoes
-2 tablespoons of Earth Balance vegan butter
-4 tablespoons of agave nectar (or the sweetener of your choice
-Dandies vegan marshmallows (sold at Whole Foods or Amazon. Trader Joe's also has vegan marshmallows.)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of nutmeg
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-Large stockpot for boiling the sweet potatoes
1. Coat the baking dish of your choice with cooking spray and pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil your sweet potatoes in a stockpot on high for 30 minutes or until soft.
3. Drain the sweet potatoes and then run cold water over them for about one minute. The sweet potatoes will be hot, so please be careful.
4. Peel off the skin of the sweet potatoes and mash them.
5. Stir in agave nectar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and earth balance.
6. Pour the sweet potatoes into your oil coated baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
7. Pull the sweet potatoes out of the oven and then adjust the oven temperature to the broil setting.
8. Arrange the Dandies marshmallows to your liking on top of the sweet potatoes.
9. Put the sweet potatoes back in the oven on the broil setting for no longer than 3 minutes.
10. WATCH the sweet potatoes closely during this last step, if you don't the marshmallows will burn. Pull them out when the marshmallows are browned to your liking.
11. Eat up! Serves 4.