Colds are common, so I've noticed that people flinch when I tell them that I don't take medicine. I used to take medicine for any and everything - allergies, headaches, colds, flu, stomach aches, etc. Honestly, as soon as I made my food my medicine, a lot of my aches and pains disappeared. Now, I rarely get sick! I no longer have allergies and headaches are few and far between.
Whenever sickness strikes though, I go into my arsenal and pull out my bag of "tricks". Some of the tricks are common sense and now is the time to practice it because more and more of us are becoming addicted to over-the-counter meds and it's simply unnecessary.
- Hot Lemon Water - The body needs flushing and the acidity of lemons with the hydration of purified water will have you "going" all day. THIS is what the doctor meant when she said "remember to drink plenty of fluids." Fluid in, bacteria out!
- Throat Coat Tea - When you have a sore throat, nothing nips it like this tea. I must admit, if you don't like licorice, you will find it disgusting, but it works! No natural remedy cabinet is complete without it.
- Rest - It MUST happen and it's probably the reason why you are sick in the first place! Studies have proven that when you don't get your 8 or more hours, your immunity to infectious diseases decreases. Get your shut eye because your health depends on it.
- Limit Gluten - While gluten is delicious (I still eat it), you may be allergic to it. I believe that I have a mild gluten allergy. If I have too much of it, I start to itch. I monitor my gluten intake as much as possible. Much like veganism, going gluten-free is easier than you think it is. Give it a shot!
- Ditch Diary - Besides the fact that diary is puss, mucus and pasteurized blood from cows, it also does nothing to relieve your allergy symptoms. You already know this, but just in case you need a reminder . . . Just.Say.No!
- Green Your Cleaning Products - Lots of allergies are developed because of toxic chemicals that we use around our homes. Try to go green as much as possible. Often, you can make your own cleaning products thus saving you money, a runny nose and a hacking cough. Here's one of my favs!
- Fiber - Oh, fiber. . .how I love thee! Most of the time when your stomach is aching, it means that you need to poo! Please go poo! A great poo will change your life! You will feel cleaner and clear of backed-up waste. Fiber rich foods include leafy greens, fruit and beans. Get on it and let it out!
- Colonics - Speaking of backed up waste, a colonic will definitely assist you with that. Colonics use water and massage to soothe and help release toxic waste from your colon. I've only had one colonic so far, but I'm a huge fan. I actually can't wait until my next one. If you are in the Bay Area, show your colon some love and get a colonic at Berkeley Colonic & Bodywork. Tell Gaya that I sent you!
- Green Tea with Ginger - Ginger soothes a tummy ache and the green tea also helps to flush out your system. It's a win-win!
- Close Your Eyes - If you work in an office setting, you know that fluorescent lighting sucks. Turn the lights down low and ease your headache.
- Lower Your Sodium - Salt is delicious but too much of a good thing can be dangerous, so as much as you may hate it, sometimes you just have to hold the salt. Use herbs and other spices to season your food instead of piling on the salt.
- Listen To Soothe - Music is a huge deal in my life and while I love trap music, sometimes I just need jazz to soothe me. It usually helps to calm my spirit and soothe my headache. Try it!
Incorporate these natural tips and watch your aches and pains disappear. Don't be afraid to change your lifestyle and remember that there is ALWAYS a natural remedy for any ailment.